Digital Collections

Oriskany Monument

In August 1777, 800 militiamen led by General Nicholas Herkimer were marching to relieve the siege at Fort Stanwix, when they were ambushed at this spot, a few miles away from Oriskany Creek. Despite heavy losses and the wounding of Gen. Herkimer, the Colonial forces and their Oneida allies were able to hold of the British, Tory and Mohawk troops of Sir John Johnson and Col. John Butler. This monument was erected in 1884 and bears a plaque listing the names of some of the soldiers. It became a New York State historic site in 1927. This image was created to record the historic site activities of the New York State Conservation Department.
Identifier: NYSA_14297-87_3686
Date: July 1929
Language: English
Repository: New York State Archives
Source: New York State Archives, New York (State). Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, [ca. 1904-1949], 14297-87_3686.
Rights: This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement.

Related collections

Photographic prints and negatives (is part of)

Related places

Oneida County (is associated with)