Exterior view of Binghamton State Hospital in Binghamton, New York. In the foreground is a planted field. Tree-lined avenues run between the field and the hospital. The hospital, a Gothic Revival limestone building designed by Isaac Perry, has a castle-like appearance. At its opening in 1864, it was named the New York State Inebriate Asylum and was the first hospital in the nation founded to treat alcoholism as a disease. In 1879, after Governor Lucious Robinson declared the inebriate asylum a failure, it became the Binghamton Asylum for the Chronic Insane. It was renamed Binghamton State Hospital in 1890 and Binghamton Psychiatric Center in 1974 before being closed in 1993. In 1997, it was listed as a national historic landmark.
1890 – circa 1910
New York State Archives. Education Dept. Division of Visual Instruction.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement