Photograph of a sketch of Fort Herkimer as carved on John Edes' powder horn. Fort Herkimer was built in 1740, and during the American Revolution was rebuilt as a defensive stone stockade around the Fort Herkimer Church. Both forts were destroyed during the building of the Erie Canal, but the church still stands. The forts stood on what is now on Route 5S in Herkimer County, New York. The sketch was made in the 1937 from the actual horn.
April 4 1942
Vrooman, John J. (Photographer), Hartley, R.M. (Artist)
New York State Archives. New York (State). Education Dept. Division of Archives and History. Photographs of historic sites and structures, 1936-1963. Series A0245-77. Herkimer County.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement