This imposing brick structure is known as Fort Crailo. During the 18th century it acted as a headquarters for the vast Rensselaer Estate. The earliest date of residence is in 1704 by Hendrick van Rensselaer, though it may have been built 1642. Its reinforced structure is a legacy of a time when Indian raids were a threat, and at one point it had a palisade and gun ports. According to legend, at this site in 1758 British Army surgeon Richard Shuckburgh penned the lyrics of "Yankee Doodle" to mock the Colonial Troops he saw in the area. This image was created to record the historic site activities of the New York State Conservation Department.
October 4 1930
New York State Archives, New York (State). Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, [ca. 1904-1949], 14297-87_3720.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement