A theater in Miletus, Asia Minor, on Plain of the Maender, looking toward the sea. Stone blocks can be seen on and behind the main stage. A man is standing on one of the rows of seats. The theater of Miletus was built by the Greeks in 300 BCE and renovated several times over the succeeding centuries by both the Greeks and the Romans. Used primarily for drama and comedy plays by the Greeks, the Romans expanded and renovated it to accommodate gladiatorial competitions and animal hunts. The theater is located near the mouth of the Maeander River, making it close to the seacoast. At peak capacity, it could hold 15,000 spectators, (1912).
Underwood & Underwood (publishers)
New York State Archives. New York (State). Education Dept. Division of Visual Instruction. Instructional lantern slides, ca. 1856-1939. A3045-78, A5815.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement