A northeast view of the columns of the Olympeum (Olympieion), also known as the Temple of Zeus (or Jupiter), and the Acropolis. The Acropolis is visible in the background, as are several more modern buildings. Construction on the Olympieion began in 515 BCE, but was abandoned in 510 BCE. Although work on the temple would start and stop over the following years, the Roman Emperor Hadrian, who was a great admirer of Greek culture, finally completed it in 131 AD. The Olympieion was one of the largest temples ever built in Greece, and at one time consisted of 48 columns in triple rows and 56 columns in double rows, (1926).
New York State Archives. New York (State). Education Dept. Division of Visual Instruction. Instructional lantern slides, ca. 1856-1939. A3045-78, B11870.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement