The tents were created for a reenactment of the first battle of Saratoga, usually referred to as the Battle at Freeman's Farm, for the 151st anniversary of the battle. The farmhouse behind them is unidentified, but is likely the Neilson Farm where American troops camped, the middle portion of which was standing during the battle. This battle, and the following battle three weeks later, is thought to be the turning point of the war. This image was created to record the historic site activities of the New York State Conservation Department.
New York State Archives, New York (State). Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, [ca. 1904-1949], 14297-87_3582.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement