General view of plot owned by the state of N.Y. on the site of southeast bastion of Fort Stanwix, Rome. A plaque and a cannon mark where the southeast bastion of Fort Stanwix once stood. Fort Stanwix was constructed in 1758 during the French and Indian War in present day Rome, NY. During the Revolutionary War it was successfully defended by General Peter Gansevoort and his men against British forces under General Barry St. Leger. In was dismantled during the 19th century, but was declared a national monument in 1935 and reconstructed in the 1970s. This image was created to record the historic site activities of the New York State Conservation Department.
New York State Archives, New York (State). Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, [ca. 1904-1949], 14297-87_3685.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement