This mansion and stone barn were built by Sir William Johnson, largest single landowner and most influential individual in the settlement of the Mohawk Valley and veteran of the French and Indian War. Construction began on the house in 1763, and Johnson died here in 1774. It was seized as Loyalist property in 1779 and sold at auction. It passed from private ownership into state hands in 1906, and is now a State Historic Site. This image was created to record the historic site activities of the New York State Conservation Department.
New York State Archives, New York (State). Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, [ca. 1904-1949], 14297-87_3703.
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement