Detail of original grave stone for abolitionist John Brown at the John Brown Farm in North Elba in the Adirondack Mountains. Following Brown's execution for leading a raid on Harper's Ferry, his body was returned to the Farm, which he founded to assist unfortunate African American men, at North Elba. Many years later the bodies of his sons and followers who died in the raid were removed to the farm. In 1895 the farm became the property of New York State and a memorial, which included the names of those buried at the farm, was established.
New York State Archives, Conservation Dept. Photographic prints and negatives, 14297-87, Box 261, no. 57-L-603-MIS
This image is provided for education and research purposes. Rights may be reserved. Responsibility for securing permissions to distribute, publish, reproduce or other use rest with the user. For additional information see our Copyright and Use Statement
Environmental History Virtual Resource Collection